Monday, March 2, 2015

DIY Firestarters

With many of us still having "fireplace days" and the weather soon to warm up so we can start having outdoor fun around our bonfires and chimineas, I thought you might be interested in these easy DIY fire-starters, made out of stuff you would probably throw away anyhow.  They make a great addition to your kindling to get that fire going.



Start saving up those toilet paper tubes, these are so easy, and they actually look kind of pretty, so they'll be nice even if you have guests over.  I have mine sitting on the hearth of my fireplace.  Without further adieu, here's how to make them.
All you need is dryer lint, empty toilet paper tubes, and leftover tissue paper.
Every time you empty your lint screen from your dryer, shove it into a toilet paper roll.  I just put my TP tubes in the laundry room so they're right there. 
Start saving up those TP rolls, by the time it's warm enough to have fires outside, you'll have loads!  Dryer lint is extremely flammable, so these will really flame up.  But, they look kind of gross....here's my solution to that.
Don't toss that leftover tissue paper from gift bags!
Cut the sheets of tissue into quarters and roll the lint filled TP rolls up in the tissue paper.
Twist the ends like a piece of candy or a British Christmas cracker! 
If you want to, you could tie them off using a bit of raffia, leftover yarn, cotton kite string,  I just left mine twisted, but it's up to you, just make sure whatever you use is natural and will burn and not melt.
Taa-daa! A couple of these mixed in with your kindling will help get your fire started whether in the fireplace or outside, man, I'm ready for some bonfires, come on spring!

I hope you enjoyed these fun and easy DIY fire starters, give them a try!

Blessed Be!
Mickie

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea.. my daughter and I will definitely be making these.. we just got a fire pit and needing something to help the kindle stay lit. Thanks for sharing.... how lovely.. I found your site because of the two Luna moths that visited me last night and last Saturday... they were very special and I new for sure they we representative of a message.. based on some change going on in my life. Thank you...
    Blessings Christine

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your feedback, please leave a note on my old wooden art table!