Thursday, October 7, 2010

A New Fairy Sketch: Aziza Fairy Queen

Greetings Friends!

I wanted to share the sketch of the new piece I'm working on!






















I enjoyed doing my Celtic fairies so much that I decided to explore the fairy realm further, looking into different cultures, when I discovered a fairy tribe that lives in Africa called the Aziza. They are helpful fairies, blessing hunters with good luck, and passing on practical knowledge and spiritual wisdom to the people. They live in the forests near Dahomey in west Africa. They seem like Good Fairy Folk to have around!

I think this noble queen will be standing on the edge of an African forest, her wings were inspired by the African Monarch butterfly with beautiful shades of browns, tans and creams. To invite the blessings of the Aziza to this piece and bring inspiration as well I'm enjoying some excellent African music on Pandora radio, the the mbira is one of my favorite African instruments, it's so healing. I'm sipping bush tea (roobios) in the studio this week. Mmmmm. As Mma Precious Ramotswe says in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, "There's no problem too big that can't be solved with a cup of bush tea."

I also discovered that they have fairy rings in Africa! These rings aren't mushrooms though. They are in the plains near Namibia. They are circular depressions with no vegitation growing in them, but sometimes the grasses around the outside gets quite high. Scientists have been researching the phenomenon for 25 years, but no one can figure out what causes them!



I'll work on Aziza Fairy Queen some more this week, new pics of this work in progress coming soon!

Blessings!

Mickie

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I wrote a children's story that includes the Aziza fairy folk. Information about them wasn't easy to find for me. Beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also drawing sculpting and naming fairies. I like your work

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your feedback, please leave a note on my old wooden art table!