Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why is an Art Table Like a Writing Desk?


In Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter asked Alice, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" Much tomfoolery ensued and the question finally ended with Alice finally retorting exasperated, "I should think you might do something better with your time than wasting it in asking riddles that have no answers."

Illustration: The Tea Party by Arthur Rackham

But to answer the question, "Why is an art table like a writing desk" is quite a bit more simple, and I can report the bare minimum of tomfoolery. I'm working on edits for the manuscript for "The Voice of the Trees Companion Book" which will of course accompany my new deck coming out Sept. 2011.

I've actually been quite fortunate that there weren't a lot of changes, most of them were simple and organizational, and I was asked to add a few things, which made me quite happy. I got to add some more spells using the cards which I was very excited about. It's a really cool use for this deck in addition to using it for readings, so I was very happy when my editor asked for more! She's also letting me do more illustrations for the book to which I say, yeah! I'm really happy and have several great ideas! Anyone who wants some tree spells now, you don't have to wait for the book, I've written one for each of the trees in the Celtic Tree Calendar which are in Llewellyns 2010 Witches Datebook, and it's on sale...bonus!

It seems like I've been working on this longer than I should have to for as few edits that I actually have, but I have been, of course, multitasking. I had several deadlines for Llewellyns periodicals also, so I had put them all in order according to the dates and worked my way through them. Pretty logical for someone originally from the other side of the rabbit hole!

Since I have a long weekend, I thought I would sit down and rock this thing out, so in true Wonderland manor, I made a pot of lovely blooming tea and sat down to work. I'm almost done now, just my usual anal checking and checking again which I'll probably do on and off all weekend, but by Monday it should be whisking off across the Internet to my editor in plenty of time to make my deadline. *Proud*

I hand made a mock up version of the deck for me to work with while I wait for the publication to come out. I use them to work with on my own and I also have been doing online readings with them through my Etsy shop right here at the old wooden art table/writing desk. So I got them out along with all my notes for inspiration, and propped up the Woodbine card for clarity and focus to help me stay on task. So why am I writing a blog right now, you may ask? Well, it's way past tea time of course silly! Join me in a cup, it's Golden Blossom Jasmine...mmmm...

One more sip and back to work I go!

"Clean cup, move down!"

Fare Thee Well!
Mickie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your feedback, please leave a note on my old wooden art table!